Dublin sightseeing...OR NOT!

Dublin Travel Blog

Dublin Castle

I was hoping my second day in Dublin would be more adventuresome than the first. The only consolation I had was that I had lovely sleep the previous night. Breakfast was same old fare - stale bread and jam. I hated how the whole kitchen had fliers saying "wash up after you eat. we've got secret video camera surveillence". How PETTY! :-(

Anyways I bought the City Sightseeing pass, and my first stop was the Dublin Castle. You'd think it would be in some far flung hill with a lovely sea but no, it was right in the city centre. The entrance is grand, but the Castle as such has all the opulence and grandeur of my local 24 Hour Fitness. Infact it looks more like a stately home than a Castle.

Dublin Castle
The inside wasn't open for visitors, not that I'd was half arsed about visiting the place.

My next stop was The Guiness Factory. This was a place I was waiting to go to from a long time. I'd been on Guiness for a while since I got to the UK and I wanted to see how it was done. The entrance fee was a bit pricey but the factory as such was well arranged. There's not much one can see as it's so big and scientific and stuff, but it gave a good introduction and background to how guiness is manufactured. I also love how the 7th floor has a good view of Dublin, and you can get a free pint of Guiness. It was very crowded though!

Finished the Guiness factory, hopped on the bus and passed through a park which houses both the President of Ireland and the US Consulate General (LOL, any sightseeing tour that uses a foreign C.

The Guiness factory
G's house as a major spot in the city must be pathetic). I got down near the Liffey, walked it up to O'Connell Rd and lunch was at the B.K near the bridge. This was nice, nice view of the street, quiet and enjoyable.

Did some window shopping and got back to the hostel, slept again... wow! I must have been tired!

Spent the evening strolling through Grafton Street, it started raining. Dinner was had at an Indonesian rsnt in Temple Bar. The food was too nutty and sweet-ish. Not impressed. Anyways, when I got back to the hostel, my room was empty. Miracle of miracles... I was the only person in my room for that night!

Spent the night hanging out by the lovely  balcony in my room, watching drunks having fun @ the pub, and went to bed by 11:30pm. My only thought that night was "please, let the rest of my week be interesting".

Somehow Dublin was a disappointment for me. I don't know why, but besides using it as a gateway to Ireland, I doubt I'd ever hang out there, again. I feel extra-sad because Ireland was the reason this whole trip idea was born, the last thing I needed was for Dublin to be a wet blanket. Sadly, it was.

The Guiness factory
View from the Guiness factory, 7th…
View from the Guiness factory, 7t…
OConnell Street