Wedding preparations and pizza

Bogota Travel Blog

Yes well Thursday was pretty much a write-off.  We spent the day making various creations for the wedding tables, the little gifts for people to take away, getting manicures, pedicures, waxing, etc.  Lucila got up at 4am to go to a flower market to buy the flowers she wanted for the wedding.  We slept in.

Janneth had assured me we would shop around for prices on the nail treatments.  Where? I thought.  silly me, this is colombia.  We walked up the street, round a corner and knocked on some doors.  Everybody runs their businesses from their own home, remember?  1.5 hours later, manicured, pedicured, eyebrow-waxed, pampered and feeling pretty, I handed over a whole .... NZD $12 for the experience.  Colombia, que te quiero!!!

The day was saved by a very late visit to the local pizza parlour.  I have photos of these pizzas as they are so incredible.  They are about two or possible even three times as large as a standard large pizza in New Zealand, the dough pounded, rolled, spread out, toppings added and baked fresh in the oven from when you order.  It is only possible to eat two pieces.  Any more stamps you as a person with an abnormal stomach capacity.  The "especial" we ordered came with chicken, mushrooms, lots of stringy cheese and heaps of other toppings i can´t remember (damn) but was quite possibly the most divine pizza experience I have had since Winnie Bagoes.  I am ruined forever: I´ll never be able to eat pizza in New Zealand again.  And the price of this enormous gastronomic experience? NZD $15 gives you pizza for EIGHT people, stuffed to the brim.  Being the curious and truly appreciative food critic that I am, I had also ordered lasagna (yup, fresh on the spot) having been assured it is out of this world (it was) but managed about four bites before admitting complete defeat.

photo by: caliphil007