Cumpleanos feliz!

Bogota Travel Blog

Today was Willy´s birthday.  We walked into the next neighbourhood to buy a cake from a local bakery and on the way back bought four bunches of long-stemmed roses from a street vendor.  They cost 1000 pesos per bunch (about 70 cents) and Janneth´s mother could not believe it when I told her 45 roses in New Zealand could cost in excess of $200 NZD.  And probably half the roses in New Zealand come from here!
I also tried on my custom-made leather jacket for the first time - there was a lengthy discussion on what changes needed to be made to get the look I wanted and now I´m enthusiastically waiting on these so I can try it on again.  The leather is extremely soft and very expensive (by local standards, still about a quarter the price of what it would be in New Zealand).
Then we all traipsed out for lunch at Willy´s favourite local chicken restaurant where we had the typical pollo (rotisserie? chicken), papas salada (salted potatoes) and arepas (no equivalent but a thick flat pancake, quite small, which can be made of many different ingredients).  Very heavy on the carbohydrates.  Yum.
photo by: caliphil007