Welcome to Romania!

Bucharest Travel Blog

I was lucky enough to have my reservation mixed up and so I got upgraded to business, yippie! what a great start!

I landed in Bucharest early in the morning and my ex boyfriend who arrived in a day before me came to pick me up from the airport together with his father.

We had No lonely planet, No maps, No plans - the best way to go :)

Well, not really. Because there is no proper Tourist information in all of bucharest, you risk missing alot of the city's highlights, as residents of Bucharest are inclined to speak English and are not very hospitable. This changes the minute one lives the big city and heads up north.

As my ex's father is working in Bucharest we had a very central place to stay, 3 minutes from the City Square and 10 minutes from the Unidad palace (can't remember exact names, sorry...). Mostly this was a major plus as we saved money and had someone to guide us all over town, but we missed out on meeting people ...

We have found that the best way to get information (before discovering Travbuddy...) is to find the city's Timeout magazine. The only place we could find it was in an Irish Bar on Unidad avenue.

A few important things to know when arriving in Bucharest:

1. Watch out! drivers are crazy and no matter what happens DO NOT touch anyone's car! We once saw a guy who offered to clean some other guy's car. He ended up getting severly beaten.

2. When taking a taxi make sure they use the correct rate. We once took a taxi and the driver used the night rate (#3), we ended up paying 3 times as much as we should have.

3. The tour of Unidad palace (parliament house) is very recommended. It amazing to see what one dictator managed to acheive and how up until this day the Romanian government continues to build it according to plans.

4. During Summer and Fall the square in front of Unidad Palace hosts a few commercial festivals and dance parties. Entrance is mostly free and it's a great chance to mix with the Romanian Youth.

5. Try to get directions to local restaurants. Some are very colorful, relatively cheap and host Romanian folk singers.

travelman727 says:
Thanks for the great tips! I hope to visit remarkable Romania and eastern Europe in the next couple of years :-D
Posted on: Aug 05, 2007