The Cote d'Azur

Nimes Travel Blog

La Maison Carre in Nimes

Was in Nimes for a friend's wedding. Obviously the wedding didn't take up the entire weekend which gave me some time to explore the area.

Had been previously to the Pont du Gard but that was several years before so as I was driving down the autoroute I saw a sign for the Pont and decided to call in. It was well worth seeing again. Amazing to think it was put together such a long time ago and is still standing.

Nimes itself has a pretty centre. I was there for Bastille Day weekend hence there was a fireworks display. They certainly didn't skimp on the ordenance! It was a pretty spectacular show. Nimes itself seemed pretty safe at night to wander around but I wasn't out late as I was by myself and had to get up for the wedding the next day.

They grow lavender in this area. The air smells like a huge air freshener has been sprayed!

If you are there a visit to the Arena is well worth it and the Maison Carre isn't bad if you have the time. There was another castle on a hill over looking Nimes but unless you are bored I wouldn't bother climbing up.

After this I headed through the Gorges du Verdon to Nice. I would recommend the trip through the Gorges it is more interesting than sitting on the Autoroute. However it is much slower, especially if you are stuck behing a damned Dutch caravan. Overtaking is not that easy with all the twists and turns. But if you have a nice car you can have fun when the road is empty. However a lot of the corners don't have crash barriers so I wouldn't push to much!

Nice was not as nice as I expected. Coming in my car is took a while to find the tourist area. I was staying quite far up the Promenade des Anglais and it took a while to work out that the business centre and the tourist area were not one and the same. Hence punching City Centre into your satnav will not help. Also if you end up heading towards the airport on the Promenade it is not that easy to do a U-turn.

After Nice I headed along the coast to Monaco which was my favourite bit and is in a separate entry. Then I called in at Cannes (which was much nicer than Nice) and St. Tropez (where there seems little to do other than spend money and look at rich people on their boats.)

Definitely is a place I would like to come back to with friends to party.

La Maison Carre in Nimes
They grow lavender in this area. T…
They grow lavender in this area. …
Nimes