Irsih BBQ not a barbie

Killarney Travel Blog

I was exhausted from the night before and woke up at 12pm.  I took my time to shake off the drosiness and was dropped off in town so I could use the internet.  I walked around down town Killarney which was filled with cute shopes and some pretty neat stores. There was one called O Rielys with candy in the window and an old cash register from the 1880s that they were still using..in the back was a pub!  Not touched by time, that was by my favortie store.  Went postcard shopping and then walked home in the rain...unless specified, every day was raining.  There was a warm meal waiting for me when I returned and I gobbled it right up.  When I finished we were off to a small town called knockngreen...im talking narrow roads and in the middle of nowhere, but that was the coolest part, to get to see the other side of Ireland.

There was a mass for Mary´s husband s parents who are both deceased , but quite interestingly enough, husband´s name is Donie 40 years apart on the day.  Father Dan helped out with the mass and afterwards, 30 meters away, was the party for the newly weds, a niece of Father Dan.  He has a lot of family.

The newly weds who were married 3 days prior celebrated with a barabeque, yep, even in the 40 degree rain.  They had this heavy duty tarp set up over the grill with wooden planks and cement block sto hold it in place...these guys knew what they were doing!  We had yummy lamb kebabs (and usually i dont like lamb) and chicken skewers all made by the grooms mother and brother.

After dinner was the awards ceremony for Donies family.  Every year they get together on this day in remeberance of their parents and have a golf tornament, rain or shine. Donie was a bit sore since he came in second this year , and he had been winning it 3 times in a row.  They handed out nice glass trophies, an awesome ordeal!  Had a delicious fruit salad sprinkled in cream for dessert and it was gorgeous...yes food can be decribed that way.  sooooo good, the grooms brother made it. Emril of Ireland!

F. Dan and I then went to another party, an engagemnet party of his other niece.  lots of family.  Cheval and here sisters, friends and family were very nice and super warm.  everyone was dancing and singing. Got home at 2am and slept...a common theme this is....

Then
sephirothgirlie says:
This is like a whole new chapter of Europe I wish I could have been a part of! XD A BBQ in the rain is quite something! I never knew you were that close to father Dan, that's really cool you get to have someone take care of u over there :)

And what a tradition, it's a lot more than Americans do for the deceased!
Posted on: Aug 23, 2007