Wonderful Ohrid

Ohrid Travel Blog

Sv Naum

Ohrid is a stunning place to visit. I remember everyone telling me about Ohrid and how special it is. Maybe cynicism comes with age but it really is beautiful. Everyone was spot on about Ohrid.Ohrid is UNESCO protected and there exists artifacts from this region from 5000BC.

We arrived in Ohrid very early in the morning to avoid the heat  (high 40 degrees!). The drive is great, the scenery is splendid.  The first thing we did was go to Sv Naum chuch. Sv Naum was a must see for me. Apparently the actual church dates back to the early 10th century but this lies underneath the current Church. The current church dates back to 16th Century. Still though you can see the original church through some glasses on the floor.

charming Sv Naum
Sv Naum's tomb is in the chamber, legend has it that if you put your ear on the tomb you can hear Sv Naum's heart beat. Additionally if you touch the tomb of Sv Naum your wish will come true.  Nethertheless MissL did attempt this. I love legend stories like this.

What to do after visiting a magnificent church? Go swimming of course in Lake Ohrid. The water is perfect here. It is the right temperature and clean. Coming from Australia we have the magnificent beaches here but Lake Ohrid was delightful!

Afterwards the trip to nearby Plaosnik proved amazing. A Roman amphitheatre , Sv Clement, Sv Jovan and Kaneo. At Sv Clement there was exavations currently in place as the Church was much larger originally than they thought. An interesting fact is that during Ottoman Rule , Macedonian Orthodox churches were not allowed to be taller than a mosque. If they were taller than a mosque, they were torn down.

Did I like Ohrid, Yes very much. Outside Sv Naum there is a musician who sells a recorder like instrument. I could hear his music in my head during the whole day.

dodge says:
You just make me have a second thought whether I should put Macedonia in the list too :D
Posted on: Oct 30, 2007