Calgary Stampede

Calgary Travel Blog

The trip started a little on the wrong foot with the Emirates flight departing Dubai on the morning of 5th July being delayed by two hours due to a technical fault. That was almost all my transit time in London Heathrow before the connecting Air Canada flight to Calgary. I was hoping all the time while on the flight that I would not miss the connecting flight.

Upon landing in Heathrow and taxing to the gate, I was one of the few transit passengers already waiting at the door for a quick exit. While waiting to exit, I spoke with an Indian and it so happened that we were on the same connecting flight to Calgary. That offered some sort of relief to know that you were not the only one who could potentially miss a connecting flight. So we planned to dash out as soon as the plane door was opened and to make an attempt for the flight.

I think I clocked the fastest run in my life with the dash out of the plane through Heathrow Terminal 3, jumping the queue at the security check and making it on the Air Canada flight just in the nick of time! And this was including a few moments of waiting time for this Indian to catch up with me during the dash through the terminals. I could not help but to really smile at the scene of him trying to catch up and all the time muttering, “I will quit smoking, I will quit smoking!” Well, he was a bit on the plump side and perhaps the smoking did not help with his fitness either.

We made to the connecting flight and were the last ones to board the Air Canada plane. The plane taxied off just moments after we boarded the flight. What a close shave! Missing the flight would not have affected the trip through the Banff National Park but I would have missed the Calgary Stampede which was a much anticipated show to watch.

My luggage did not make it with me and I was left without a camera to capture the great events at the Calgary Stampede. It was certainly interesting to see the rodeo competition with the cowboys competing to stay for at least eight seconds on the wild horses and bulls while being flung and tossed around.

The Evening Show - The Spirit of 1912 was spectacular and indeed lived up to its claim of being "The Greatest Outdoor Show On Earth".  All the audiences including myself were spellbound by the unforgettable 90 mins of musical extravaganza - singing, dancing, humourous skit, acrobatic performance and of course the spectacular award winning fireworks display throughout the show.

amazed says: