Gdansk, Poland

Gdansk Travel Blog

Beautiful buildings in Gdansk.
We travel by train from Krakow to Gdansk, Poland - stopping in Warsaw for a night...

Gdansk is a lovely city well worth the relative trouble to get to (long train rides in & out of this north coastal Polish town).  We've enjoyed exploring the large old town, and we took a train to nearby Malbork castle for a day.  Not only is Gdansk's old town interesting, but the history is a reason in & of itself to go to Gdansk.  This is where WWII began, and where the Soviet empire began to crumble.  For those who find themselves in this lovely town, I'd have a difficult time recommending what to do with just one day.
More beautiful buildings in Gdansk.
  The castle, for its vastness in size, and because it's the largest brick castle in the world?  Or the old town, essentially completely destroyed in the war and rebuilt meticulously to its original detail?  Or perhaps the shipyard where Polish workers stood together for Solidarity, setting off a string of events that arguably led to Poland's freedom from Soviet Russia?  I suppose what I would recommend would depend on the individual's interests....   ;)

One of the meals we had in Gdansk was one of the most, um, interesting that we've come across.  Bill's was less remarkable than mine - I had chicken with peanuts, which I thought might be sautee'd or grilled chicken with some peanuts tossed in it.  Alas, it was some chunks of chicken, carrots and who knows what else in the thickest sauce (if one can call it that) I'd ever seen.
Amber shopping.
  Its consistency reminded me of perhaps a stew, but thicker!  Than I tasted it and realized what I really seemed to have been given was chicken in dark, thick peanut butter.  Yes, peanut butter, no joke.  There had to be a cup of peanut butter in the sauce - in fact, I think it should have been called "peanut butter, and we'll toss in a few pieces of chicken and some carrots so you're not just eating peanut butter."  I really couldn't eat much of it, even though I love peanut butter - it was just too thick!!  Who would have thought I'd travel all the way to Poland just to order peanut butter chicken....LOL!!  :)

The place we stayed in Gdansk was highly recommendable - Villa Akme, about 4 bus stops from the train station and 3 bus stops from the old Town Center stop.
A wedding in Gdansk
  For about 50Euro/night (give or take), we had our own double room (a luxury at this point) with private bathroom (huge luxury).  We had the largest towels of the entire trip, and they were thick!  (You wouldn't believe some of the tiny towels we've run into - they're really more like hand towels than shower towels.)  The shower had a stand on the wall (yay, tired of those hand-held ones), had consistently hot water, and good water pressure.  The room had a small balcony as well.  If all these sound like "normal" things to you, then you haven't stayed in a bunch of budget hotels or hostels in Europe lately!  LOL  For us, all these things were a fabulous break from the rest of the places - as I said, highly recommended.  :)
A wedding in Gdansk
Porsche 911 driving by parts of th…
Porsche 911 driving by parts of t…
Gdansk