An update on where I will live next

Baku Travel Blog

I just received the news that Ft. Hays State University wants me to live in Shenyang and work at Shenyang Normal University.   I guess it better than working at Shenyang Abnormal University.  i hear only freaks go to that school.  Anyway, that is the place where I wanted to go! Nothing against the other school and city, but the other school was the only American university in all of China and they did their best to make everything on campus feel like an American university.  i personally have nothing against that approach, but if I am going to live in China I really want to experience China.  The great thing with Shenyang is it is close to Korea, Japan and Russia.

Speaking of Russia, i might have to cancel my plans to visit Moscow an St. Pete in July.  The reason is the airfare is a little too outrageous.  Aeroflot wants $700, while the Ukrainian Aerosvit wants $500.  The total direct flight is around 3 hours.  Being a foreigner, I cannot cross the Russia-Azerbaijani border by land.  Another possibility is to take the train from Baku into Georgia, spend sometime there, cross into Turkey and take the ferry across the Black Sea into Russia.  But this present another problem, as an American I have to give the Russian consulate an exact time of where I will be and when while in Russia to get a visa.  I have no idea how long everything will take even after reading a guidebook.  I am thinking of ditching the plans for Russia and traveling around Eastern Turkey for a week or so.  I had plans to do that last year before my father passed away.  Maybe I need to do it in July, because $500, the cost of the ticket to Russia, would probably cover my entire trip through Georgia and Turkey for two weeks.

Kenul says:
Yeah Moscow definitely doesn't worth the price you pay for the ticket. I was so disappointed after my 2 day stop there in March last year. It's probably the only place I wouldn't wanna go back to. $500 can really cover 2 week trip in Eastern Turkey? My last trip to Istanbul cost me $1500 for 5 days staying in the cheapest hotel imaginable, feeding exclusively on doner kebabs and buying practically nothing. But I guess that's price for touring Europe. I'm sure Eastern Turkey will stay true to its Asian self and will be much more affordable. Have fun wherever you decide to go!
Posted on: May 10, 2008
Gobobo says:
Unless your itinerary can be 'approximate' you might be better off doing it another time on an organized tour! And a foreigner traveling via Georgia might not be their idea of a welcome guest right now ;-)
Posted on: May 07, 2008