At least I know the country where I will be moving to next and MickeyDee, superhero to kittens

Baku Travel Blog

Yesterday i had a phone interview with Ft. Hays St. University in Hays, Kansas.  They are very active with sending teachers to China.  The pay is good and everything like housing, medical, and food is covered.  As with most phone interviews, there were some things that i wish i would have said and afterwards wanted to kick myself for not saying it.  Still, it is funny thinking about one of their questions.  it was something along the lines of "What makes you think that you can thrive in China?"  My response was something along the lines of "I was the only native English speaker living in all of Nakhchivan, Azerbaijan for a year.  i think that living in China would be gravy in comparison."  That is the great thing that when it comes to oneupsmanship, I do not think that anyone can top me as far as a living experience, aside from a friend of mine who decide to build a treehouse in Alaska and live up in that for 6 months.  I think he wins.  Still, my usual response to anything is now, "I lived in freaking Nakhchivan for a year and no one thought it could be done.  I can do almost anything within reason, because I am that damn good!"  The only problem is when I respond that way to simple questions like "what is your name" or "Where are you from" or "Do you want a beer".

Anyway, I got an e-mail about an hour ago and I was offered the job!  I think that the cities are either Shenyang, Beijing, Tiajin or Xinzheng.  I am leaning towards Shenyang as I know people there, but the ultimate decision will be with FHSU.  I am pretty excited about everything.

A Superhero for Kittens

OK, I will admit that I am a big softie when it comes to animals and kids.  Animals just do what comes naturally for them.  As far as pure innocence, nothing can top an animal.  I was walking home today and some women freaked out that a car almost ran over a little black and white kitten.  The kitten was in total panic mode and was running beneath the car.  The driver was wondering why everyone was freaking out.  I crawl on my belly trying to get the cat.  I was soon joined in by other good samaritians.  The kitten didn't think that there was anything good about us, i am assuming it was just thinking that there are a bunch humans trying to grab me.  The kitten jumped on a tire and started hissing at the guy who was trying to grab it.  The guy freaked.  i grab the kitten and he suddenly wasn't so tough.  i asked everyone, "Who wants to take it home?"

The women, who were so concerned about the kitten getting run over, looked at me like i had a arm growing out of my head and everyone walked off.  So there i was covered in dirt from rolling on the ground trying to save this kitten with the prize of the smelly little street kitten in my hands and suddenly finding myself standing alone on the street.  I walked to a side street and let the kitten go.  i would have taken it home if not for the fact that I will be leaving in a few months.  I guess that no one there at the scene really cared that i saved the kitten except for maybe the kitten itself.  But it probably really did not know what was happening anyway.

There are way too many strays here.  If I had the time and money, I would start some NGO to at least nueter and spay healthy strays.
Chokk says:
Good luck on the next asignment - you are a superhero of mine. Cant wait for the blog :D
Posted on: May 01, 2008
Kenul says:
We are losing you!!... But I'm still very very happy for you :) Congrats and I'm sure you'll like it in China. Cheers, K
Posted on: Apr 30, 2008
Gobobo says:
Congratulations on your post, will you be traveling straight to China or detouring? I was inspired to join TravBuddy today after reading your blog and watching 'Into the Wild', a true story about a guy who goes to Alaska to live in the wild. It's directed by Sean Penn so you know it's gonna be good.
Posted on: Apr 29, 2008