Wow, That was a Short Autumn and Learning How to Walk in Baku

Baku Travel Blog

Yesterday it was 20 degrees Celsius (about 69 degrees F), today the the tempterature dropped to 9 degrees  C (about 48 degrees F).  While that in and of itself is not that bad, the wind here makes Chicago look like a little baby trying to blow a birthday candle.  I actually prefer the Fall, but a cold wind really bothers my fingers which were frostbitten in the military.  Like a fool I forgot my gloves.

Learning to Walk in Baku

It took me some time to really learn how to walk in Baku.  Coming from a small town in Indiana, it always takes me sometime to get used to how things are done in big cities.  It took me years of living in Seattle to learn that rush-hour traffic meant parking my car on the freeway.  It took me years of living in Vegas to learn that the passing lane was which ever lane is opened.  But I am proud it has only taken me a few months to really learn how to walk in Baku, and now as a bonus for all of my regular blog readers, I am passing on my secrets on how to walk in Baku absolutely free!  That's right!  You did not misread that!  Absolutely free!  Usually I would charge $20-$30 for information this good, so reading this is almost like making money.

The first thing you have to realize is that no one is looking where they are going.  While many of us try to avoid contact while walking and try to be aware of our surroundings, such things do not happen here.  The sooner you realize that, the better.

The second thing you need to realize is very rarely do people say "excuse me" even when they practically run someone over.

The third thing you need to realize is that trying to avoid contact and being polite makes you look weak in many people's eyes.

When walking in Baku, one must make sure that one is dressed the part.  This is what I wear whenever I go out for a stroll here: black shoes, black socks, black underwear, black pants, black shirt, black leather jacket (jacket hangs half way down my legs), black leather gloves (when the weather is bad and when I am smart enough to remember mine) and a black Indianapolis Colts baseball cap (I still have to represent the Blue Shoe here).  Your hat should have curved bill and be pulled down to where no one can see your eyes.

When walking do not move out of anyone's way.  If you are walking and someone walks straight to you, merely glare at them and refuse to move, afterall that person was the one who has gotten into your way.  If there is a small opening and you are trying to go through it the same time someone else is trying to go the other way, merely move your shoulder back a little, that should give the other pedestrian plenty of space to get through even if the other person outweights you by 50kg.  If you are faced with a group of people walking down the sidewalk with their arms interlocked or around each other, just consider it as if they are playing Red Rover and they are calling you right over.  It is your duty to break that chain because they are calling you out.

If you merely dress the part and have a bit of an attitude when you walk, people will get out of your way.

Seriously, I have tried to be polite here and relinquish my path to others and people still slam into me!  So I have started walking with a bit of an attitude and people are now getting out of my way.  Funny how that works.

Marius1981 says:
"its jungle man, a jungle i'm tellin ye!"
Posted on: Apr 12, 2008
sybil says:
OMG, not only will i have road rage over there, i'll also get sidewalk rage. :D
Posted on: Nov 07, 2007
CrazyLisa says:
I feel like I've made money. haha. I guess looking scary works anywhere. lol. I gotta try this out.
Posted on: Nov 07, 2007