Visiting a Local School

Baku Travel Blog

One of the teachers from AzETA asked me to visit her school.  I agreed.  I worked with kids for over seven years in Las Vegas, so kids in the Azerbaijan cannot be that overwhelming different, can they?

I made it to the school even if I got confused with the Metro.  I did not realize that the 28th of May Metro connected to another metro station which was the one station that had the route to get to the school where I needed to go.  I was trying to find the Metro in the wrong place for about 10 minutes before I tried to use my poor Azeri in getting directions.  I finally found the place.

Some students were at the Metro stop and escorted me to the school.  In retrospect, I wish that I would have brought my camera as it would have been nice to get a few shots of the students and the surroundings as well.

The school was very nice.  In fact it was in better condition than Nakhchivan State University, where I worked last year.  The school teaches children from 6-18 and all of the kids wear uniforms.  Shortly after getting into the school, I was surrounded by students.  They all wanted to talk to me.  In Azerbaijan, the supply of English teachers does not meet the demand.  I was an actual living and breathing opportunity to practice their English.

Eventually, I had to go and observe the AzETA's teachers class.  The students were presenting on holidays.  My favorite part was one group singing "Jingle Bells" with an Azeri accent.  Afterwards, all of the kids wanted to show me their work and even more wanted to talk to me.  It was then the end of their school day and all had to depart.  Then, several teachers wanted to talk to me as well.  I do not think I have ever had that many people wanting to talk to me at the same time.

I did agree to visit the school in the future and speak to some of the classes.  Next time i will have to remember my camera.
Marius1981 says:
btw why didnt you return to nakhchivan? from what i've read so far you left nakhchivan for the US and when you returned you stayed in baku. or i missed something?
Posted on: Apr 14, 2008
IceTea says:
I wish u would have brought that cam :(
Posted on: Apr 14, 2008
Baku Sights & Attractions review
I am not a religious person, but nevertheless I am fascinated with religious buildings. Here in Azerbaijan, most people automatically assume that I a… read entire review
photo by: RJawad