Traveling Around Old City

Baku Travel Blog

My friend Emine had lost her sim card for her cell phone in the Vanilla Cafe and the first task of the day was to try to find it.  So we walked down to Fountain Square.  Emine had no luck in finding it and had to go to Azercell to get a new one.  I am glad my life is simple, I bought the cheapest cell phone on the market and it has served me well for the past 2 years.

After departing Azercell, we went to the Promenade, which is a park that runs along the coast of the Caspian.  This park is home to a puppet theater, several carnival rides, a long walkway, the pier to the yacht club, a good view of the Caspian and unfortunately, the sometimes retchid smell of the Caspian as well.  Aside from the smell, the Promenade also offers decent views of the Carpet Museum (currently under rennovation), Madien Tower and several other sights as well.
Shirvanshah's Palace

Emine and I discussed the possibility of taking a 1/2 tour of the Caspian on a rather ratty looking boat, but for a charge of only 1.50 manats it is rather a good deal.  On the other hand, we decided to pass on the boat ride as the smell was too pungent that day.

We decided to leave the Promenade and explore Old City.  Old City is the home of many historical buildings of Baku.  It is also one of the chief tourists destinations in Baku, which roughly translates into whatever you buy there will be much more than if you bought the same item further away from the center of the city.  Old City is also home to many of the Embassies and Consulates, especially European ones, located in Baku.
Shirvanshah's Palace
  The area is historical and is well worht the effort to visit while in Baku.  We really did not know where we were going, but we ended up at the Old Town Hamam.  While one can climb on it, presently it only offers a view of construction being completed.  We went the other way and followed the walls that at one time guarded Old City.  Along the road, there is a place where one can climb the wall.  I chose to do so, while Emine stayed on the ground.  The openings on the wall offer some unique perspectives of the surrounding areas of the city.  At the same time, one has to be watchful when climbing the wall as there are many wires and other obstacles to face.

We eventually made it to Shirvanshah's Palace (a review will be coming soon).
Shirvanshah's Palace
  i have never been to place even though it is really close to where I live.  I was glad to finally be able to go.  Afterwards we returned to Fountain Square for Emine to find some fake Soviet military pins.  Why she wanted those, i do not know, but to each their own.

Later in the evening, we met up with some friends of her from Turkey.  Both of these gentlemen were doctors.  One was a plastic surgeon who specialized in nose jobs.  I am perfectly happy with my nose, but it was interesting to hear this man talk about a new procedure he was developing that reduces the need for plastic and used more of individual's own cartlidge for surgery.  Additionally, it was interesting to hear his theories on what makes an attractive nose.
Shirvanshah's Palace
  I should add that the doctor is also an artist, but when he explained his theories it seemed so obvious to me that it was one of those things where i was asking myself why I did not come up with that.  As he explained it, the nose forms a body on our face.  Our eyebrows are the arms and our nose forms the truck with our nostrils forming the hips.  But it does not stop there.  There is a difference between male and female noses just as there are differences in body types between the two sexes.  Furthermore, looking at the nose from the side, an attractive nose has a slight inward slope like a back, but an arch on the nose, like scoliosis (?spelling?), gives the impression of being aged.  It was by all means an interesting dicussion.  Now, I have found myself cursed with judging people's noses and seeing the human body contained on all of our faces.
Shirvanshah's Palace
I can see my apartment from here..…
I can see my apartment from here.…
Baku Sights & Attractions review
Shirvanshah's Palace
Shirvanshah's Palace is one place that everyone should see when in Baku. I would rank it up there with the Maiden Tower, Martyr's Alley, Fountain Squ… read entire review
Baku