I Got the TV Gig

Baku Travel Blog

Today was the big day.  I had my meeting with ANS television about doing some segments on children learning English.  The embassy gave me a call this morning and I had to rush to prepare myself for the meeting, my class and another meeting after the class.  I did trim up my goatee for the meeting, but I kind feel like I am running around in public wearing only my underwear.

I met with the producer of the program.  We started discussing things with someone from the embassy acting as translator.  It turned out the producer and I had the same ideas for the segments that I will be doing.  My segments will be part of a larger program that runs from 9am-11am on Saturdays and Sundays.  I know that there are other English instructional programs on other televison networks here, but according to my adult students, they are all studio based in that it is someone in a studio giving a lesson.  What fun is that?  Our idea is to go out to the park, the zoo, take walks, etc. in the community.  I think it is easier for the kids watching to understand and attach the new language to what they already know.  I mean, most kids are bored to tears with school.  Who would want to spend their time away from school watching someone teach a class on television?  Not too many 6-10 years old.

One of the great things is I get to be casual for the shoots, so I will not have to wear a shrt and tie.  Better yet, they have OK'ed me wearing my Indianapolis Colts hat, so I can represent my home state and the best American football team even in Baku.

I am planning on going to Georgia Thursday night and I will return Monday around noon.  Monday afternoon I am suppose to meet the kids whom i will be working with for these segments and we will start filming Tuesday at noon, so I guess that means no more 4am beer drinking parties for me for awhile.

I have been thinking about how Seasame Street did things in teaching language.  I might need to get some puppets, but thinking about a 40 year old man with puppets is kind of creepy.
IceTea says:
lol this must've been exciting for you! Considering all the weird shows I've seen on satellite I can nearly imagine what it might look like...
Posted on: Apr 09, 2008
boxinbcn says:
Fantastic! That's great! Just avoid Mr. Rogers neighborhood! I hope it goes really well. Steve
Posted on: Oct 17, 2007
sybil says:
congratulations!!!! woohoo! well, think of yourself as jim henson. and he wasn't creepy... ;)
Posted on: Oct 09, 2007