Next time someone better tip me....

Baku Travel Blog

Ron will Be Preforming Every Tuesday and Thursday Exclusively at the Best Gym

When I was growing up, whenever I left the door open, someone in my family would always ask, "Were you born in a barn?"  It was a common way of asking someone to close the door in many parts of the US.  Recently I have convinced that most Azeri men were in fact born in barns because they do not always close the door.  Case in point, last week, I was in the gym.  The men's locker room is very close to the actual gym area.  It is fairly cramped, but the showers are off to the left of the lockers.  I had showered and was changing getting dressed in the locker room.  I was au natural at the time, dressed in my birthday suit and I do not mean the cheap suit I bought in Nakhchivan, when someone guy came storming in the locker room leaving the door wide open.  It would not have been that bad if in fact there was not a woman on the other side of the door, but there was.  I was pulling up my underware at the time over my knees, and suddenly froze when I noticed this woman staring at me.  I consider it a minor victory that she did not point and laugh, but she did smile and I did the same while quickly pulling up my Haines.  I just wish that the shower was not that cold on that day.

Today, the same thing happened, but fortunately no woman was standing on the other side of the door.  Maybe I should just drag all of my clothes with me in the shower?  Unfortunately, I think asking "were you born in a barn" might not translate well.  All I do know is if it happens again someone better tip me or buy me dinner because I am not putting on anymore free shows.

More Fun on the Metro

The escalators in some of the metro stations here are very long.  If you want to have a good laugh, you should try talking to people going the opposite direction you are.  People freak out.  Just wave and say hello.  Most people will look at you like you have an arm growing out of your forehead.   Some will start running.  I do not know the reason why, but they do.  I did say hello to an attractive woman today and she actually said hello back to me!!! Then i had to ask her where she was going and begging her to come back, but no such luck.  Geesh, I am easily entertained.

Well, it was only a matter of time...

A few days ago, I was crossing the street when the car I was walking behind suddenly went into reverse and hit me.  I have been hit harder getting off the metro, but still I was a little ticked that this guy just back right into me.  I need to learn the Azeri term for "Open your eyes, you frickin' dumb bunny and use your rearview."  I think I freaked the guy out because I started yelling at him and he looked scared.  Fun times.
IceTea says:
I just reread your blog Ronnie. It's still awesome :D
Posted on: Oct 31, 2008
Kenul says:
I'd like to put my two gapiks in and say that "were you born in a barn"'s exact equivalent in Azeri is "doesn't your house have doors?" which will be "evivizde qapi yoxdi????" Imitate an azeri accent and talk in a normal azeri way i.e. slightly shouting and you'll make a few jaws drop. Good luck.. and keep on making gymgoing azeri women smile :)
Posted on: Mar 07, 2008
SoloSister says:
lolol... sounds like fun, cold showers, hit and runs, scary escalators... I want to join in too :)
Posted on: Mar 04, 2008