Have I really gotten this weak or am I just getting old?

Baku Travel Blog

As some of you may know, I suffered from vertigo for several months.  I constantly felt as though I was in a boat on a very stormy sea.  The worse thing from it all, aside from falling into walls, was not being able to get into the gym.  I lost a lot of weight to the point where my skin started to hang on me.  The doctors did not know what was wrong, so I had to just live with it and hope that I would get better.  The past month I have felt considerably better although I still have some problems climbing stairs and doing 180 degree turns.   I am probably about 90-95% OK right now when it comes to the vertigo, so it just made sense to return to the gym.

Here it is my third week back and I am totally dogged.  My warm-up weight for the leg press a few months ago is now kicking my butt.  I keep telling myself that I am 40 now and no threat to the Mr. Olympia crown so I do not have to prove myself any longer.  Heck I am not even a threat for the crown of "Supreme Buff Guy of the Apartment Building Where I Live" as that title goes to the juice hound on the first floor who has the tendency to crank his music at 1am and freak out when someone asks him to turn it down.  And while the vertigo is almost a thing of the past, I have been reintroduced to my old friend Mr. DOMS (Delay Onset Muscle Soreness).  Mr. DOMS visits me whenever I take a break from the gym especially from my legs, but now that I am older I have noticed he is visiting me more often.  When i first started lifting, he was a constant companion.  In my 20s, he would only visit for 5 days after an extended time away from the gym.  In my 30s he would visit if I missed one workout and now he likes visiting several weeks after a long break.  Too bad he cannot lend me any money for my next trip.

In all actuality, I should not complain and just be happy that I am still able to go to the gym.
fluturas says:
Ur not old..ur just grumpy but lets face it, when was last time when u noticed that stars can play basketball...and birds can make their own nails?
Posted on: Nov 28, 2007