Ego Boost and Other Happenings

Baku Travel Blog

Ego Boost

Although i am not part of the Peace Corps, i do know some people here who are volunteers.  I was recently invited to a little PC get-together.  I found my usual resting spot in any club and that is by the bar.  There was this one guy Shane, who is in the Navy and attending school here.  He was an invitee as well while not being a member of the PC.  We were talking and he told me about how so many people in the US Embassy talk about this one guy who spent a year as the sole native English speaker residing in the Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic of Azerbaijan.  he went on to say that it was not just one person but several people telling him about this guy.  He was a little surprised to find out the guy he was drinking with was that guy.  He went on to tell me that I am a legend here.

I do not want to come across as cocky, but it was nice to hear that.  I have the tendency to downplay my accomplishments in life because I did it.   And afterall, if I did it, what would stop anyone else from doing the same thing?  Sometimes I need to tell myself that I did something very few people would be willing to do and even less could do.  It does feel good to be told that I am a legend.

Why Pay for Pay-Per-View?

The past few weekends my friend Scott has crashed at my place.  Scott is in the Peace Corp and is a writer of a damn good blog on Azerbaijan on this site.  check him out.  These past two weekends, he and I have been witnessing fights on the street.  It is odd because these are the only fights i have seen in Baku and everyone is sober i am assuming.  I have no idea what the guys are fighting over, but if they are like men of any other culture, chances are it is over a woman.  Glad to see we men can be stupid throughout all cultures.

Really?  You Want Me to Work Where?

As some of you know i have been searching for my next destination.  I have considered staying here or going elsewhere.  I recently put my resume on-line and one of the universities which has responded is...get this...a private ALL WOMEN'S university in Korea.  I made sure that they knew I am a guy and they knew.  I also made sure that the IP address originated from Korea because I know some friends of mine who would love to pull off a great joke on me, but the IP address checked out.  All I could think was "talk about unleashing a cock in a henhouse."

I really have not considered going to Korea, but I might.  The only thing that worries me is the growing tension between North and South Korea.  The North Korean leader does scare me a lot.  In fact, he scares me a lot more than Saddam did.
geerbox says:
THE LEGEND!!! Congrats, you have more guts than most of us! I would have a shirt made or something :)
Posted on: Apr 05, 2008
sybil says:
congrats on your legendary status... kinda like john wooden (or tarkanian)... or maybe not? ;)

hey, seoul is really close to the dmz. cool, huh.
Posted on: Apr 04, 2008
CrazyLisa says:
Well I always figured you were bad ass... but a legend.. who knew?
Posted on: Apr 03, 2008