The Azerbaijani National Women's Volleyball Team and Further Proof I am an Idiot

Baku Travel Blog

I was working out today at Best Gym.  Late mornings and early afternoons are usually the best times to go there as less people are in the gym during those times.  I was trying to get done working my back when I noticed all of these tall women in the gym.  I tried to find someone who knew a little English to see if they were a woman's basketball team, but instead did my best miming of shooting basketballs to the amusement of the gym's manager.   It turned out that they are members of the national Azerbaijani Women's Volleyball team.  Funny, they seem shorter on TV.  Any testosterone-fueled urge to say something along the lines of "Salom Gozal" (literally, "Hello Beautiful" in Azeri, but figuratively "Hey Baby") was rapidly reduced by my memory of watching these women hit with extreme prejudice a moving ball in the air and it was just better not to take that chance.  Besides, both of my sisters were volleyball jocks and have a lot of respect for the game.  Still, kind of cool to workout besides some national female jocks.

Becoming more of a celebrity

I think that my segments on ANS television are becoming more popular as I have been getting a bunch of kids around the ages of 3-5 waving at me.  Also more people stare at me now.  When I try to talk they merely giggle.  It is kind of weird here as people are usually afraid to approach someone and just talk.  I might have to resort to doing what I did in China each time I was there.  Whenever I noticed someone looking at me I would practically yell "Ni hao!"  I probably looked like a badly dressed politician with my hands waving about.  I guess I could do that here.  I am only worried about someone calling the police about the crazy American yelling "Salom" to everyone.

I am an Idiot

I work a lot here.  Between working for ANS, I also teach classes for the Diplomat Academy, assist AzETA with their English classes for journalist and also do teacher training for AzETA as well.  I usually work 6-7 days a week.  Starting in January I will go from teaching 6 classes at the Diplomat Academy to only 3.  At first, I was wondering what I was going to do with all of that extra time.  As I am not for sure if i will stay here past June, I would like to travel a little and see more of the country before having to leave.  I was recently asked by the Azerbaijan Medical University to help teach English to their teachers.  Like a fool I said yes.  I think that I maybe an official workaholic because I cannot say no to work.
IceTea says:
:) hmmm yea I too sometimes can't say no to work. That's why I'm the only one at our place working 15, 16 hour shifts. Am I sick? lol
Posted on: Apr 14, 2008
sybil says:
you are such a celebrity! :D
Posted on: Dec 08, 2007
tvillingmarit says:
I have been following your Azerbaijan blog from the start and I love it. I`m sure I`m not the only one. Have a nice weekend
Posted on: Dec 07, 2007