12 Steps to a Travel or Travbuddy Addiction

Baku Travel Blog

I recently joined the Travbuddy Anyonomous group.  I created my own "12 Steps" for a Travbuddy or travel addiction as the case may be.  Funny thing is I really do not mind this addiction.  In fact i love being addicting to travel and dreaming of my next adventure.  I decided to post my 12 steps here because it will be easier for me to find it later.

I based it upon AA's 12 steps.  That is not say that I am mocking it or its program.  I have the utmost respect for anyone who overcomes an addiction.  On the other hand, most 12 step programs base their steps on the AA model.  It only seemed fair that I should do the same.

1. We admitted we were powerless over the need to travel, that our lives had become dependent upon it.

2. Came to believe that a great trip beyond the realms of our current environment could restore us to sanity.

3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the pursuit of learning of new lands and cultures as we hear of them.

4. Made a searching and fearless blog of a great travel experience.

5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human of getting suckered by a tourist trap.

6. Were entirely ready to go to some place we have never heard of before because someone else took a really great picture.

7. Humbly asked a local for directions when we do not know the language and having not a phrase book, resorted to pantomime.

8. Made a list of all the places we want to travel, and became willing to go to them all.

9. Made direct flights and/or paths to such places wherever possible, except when our whims took us elsewhere.

10. Continued to take more photos on trips because our friends "needed to see this place too" and when we did take a good shot, admitted it.

11. Sought through travel and reading travel blogs to improve our conscious contact with the world as we understood it, hoping only for further knowledge and the power to perhaps go somewhere new as well and maybe with someone we have never met before.

12. Having had an awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to other travelholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
geerbox says:
I'd have to say 6 & 7 are my favorites, but they are all very true :)
Posted on: Apr 25, 2008
sybil says:
more like made a list of places to visit and became desperate to go to all of them... and then some. :D
Posted on: Apr 24, 2008