There goes my camera

Zhangye Travel Blog

All excited, I was. Leaving Tibetan China - and at this point, the thought of going to Tibet proper had only just occurred to me - and moving on to the Silk Road. Innit great?

Long and scenic - but long - bus ride over the mountains from Xining to Zhangye, where I had my traditional very long search for a room. After three or four taxi rides I got to a hotel where the price was right but they wouldn't let me check in. Once they realised I speak no Chinese they started to write things down for me - in Chinese. A simple 'mei you' would have sufficed. Eventually I gave up.

There'd been a guy watching at reception and he offered - by sign language - to take me to another hotel. Which he did. Up several flights of steps; I'd never have found it if it wasn't for him. I was thinking about all the little random acts of kindness that everybody receives when they're travelling, and then he went and nicked my camera. I even saw him pick it up, out of the corner of my eye, as I filled in the check-in forms. It never registered at the time. But that was it. Bastard.

As you can imagine, I was less arsed with Zhangye after that. So little arsed, in fact, that I wrote the place off and spent the rest of the day watching 24 on
photo by: TheJohnsons