Old-school

Ayutthaya Travel Blog

Time to leave Kanchanaburi. Got a bus to the untouristed town of Suphanburi, and another bus through rice-fields to Ayutthaya. To my surprise, there were no other westerners on the either bus. This was to happen to me a lot. Thai buses aren't too bad, all bright paint on the outside and cracked vinyl on the inside; these two today were mainly full of schoolkids being ferried short distances, and were as loud and giggly as you might expect.

Got a room in the backpacker ghetto and spent my first evening in a streetside bar. A pair of guys walked past at one point with a baby elephant in tow. I think they were selling things to feed it; no-one was buying so they walked on. You don't see that in England every day.

Ayutthaya was capital of Thailand for four hundred-odd years and its main tourist attraction is the ruined old city. The palaces and wats of Ayuttaya were all damaged or destroyed in the war with Burma in the eighteenth century, and what's left is pretty cool. I'm too much of a philistine to appreciate it as much as it undoubtedly deserves but I spent quite a while wondering around its ruins taking photos, all of which I've since lost. Arse. As I walked home one evening, six elephants passed me on the road, cars overtaking them like it was the most normal thing in the world.
Ayutthaya