Oh so off the beaten track

Phitsanulok Travel Blog

I don't know the name of the place I stayed in Phitsanulok, but if I did I'd recommend it. There was no English sign. I thought it was a place listed in the LP, until I found that place later, further down the same street. There was a huge, dimly-lit first-floor landing that lead onto my room. Cracked sink, old wood and peeling paint, like a fifty-year old railway carriage. There was a fan, a tiny bed and a table with wooden chairs that could have been nicked from a park in Victorian England. Quid fifty a night.

I was only in the town to get a train to Chiang Mai; if the timetables had worked out I'd not even have spent the night there. Happily they didn't, so I did. The mardy guy at the train station sneered at me that there were no tickets for trains north tomorrow, before bothering to check and finding that there were tickets available for trains north tomorrow.

In the evening I had a couple of beers at a table overlooking the river, then found a restaurant with an attempt at an English menu. 101. Fried morning. 109. Fried an Cnion-Like Vegetable With Pork. 310. Agound of The Family Cueurkitakaea Soup. I had the chilli fried frog, which was too hot to taste.

After dinner I wandered the town. It was functional but atmospheric, and I liked it a lot. Found an entertainment complex on the other side of the river where they were showing Villa vs Man Utd, and settled to watch that. We were already 2-0 down. A couple of young Thai guys wanted to know why I looked unhappy. We conceded a third. These guys made a valiant attempt to discuss literature with me, but when they discovered I'd never read all of One Hundred Years of Solitude they gave up and talked about football. In the morning I saw the second holiest Buddha image in Thailand, and in the afternoon I got on a train.
Phitsanulok