Energy transfer in conjugated polymers

Muang Ngoi Travel Blog

Activity for day five was a trip in a two-man kayak up the river, with an American girl I'd got talking to over breakfast that morning. (Read: she'd struck up conversation with me. I'm shite at this sort of thing.) She was from Florida and she had a degree in biophysics from Berkeley; was returning in 'the fall' to do a masters. She asked me lots of questions about my own final-year project at university, cos she thought physics reasearch was really cool. Madhead. We got on, too; we made each other laugh, and this is never a bad thing.

The trip started out easily enough. Fifteen minutes paddling upstream. Then we came to some little rapids. This girl - let's call her H - was quite outdoorsy and had some experience of kayaking; she assured me we could make it past them. So we aimed our kayak, were beaten back by the current; tried again, took on water, sank. Fished the kayak out of about three feet of water and carried it fifty feet past the rapids. Carried on; that was as hard as it got.

The scenery, as ever in Laos, was wonderful. The current slackened off and we found ourselves at the bottom of a huge natural bowl shape; the river wide and lazy in the middle but pinched by mountains at the end. It felt more like a lake than a river. On the thickly-forested banks we saw not a soul; a couple of slow boats chugged past us on the river but that was it. Beached ourselves on a sandbank and shared a baguette and some seaweed for lunch. Paddled back, giggling about nothing. It was a good day.

There was a full moon in the evening. I wandered down to Muang Ngoi's tiny wat where a real-life full moon party was going on. All cool percussion music and people enjoying themselves - locals and falangs alike. This is what 'travel' is all about.
Muang Ngoi