Déjà vu

Sukhothai Travel Blog

If you've seen one set of Thai ruins, you've seen them all. Call me a philistine, but that's how I felt about the remains of Sukhothai's old city: if you're not really into this sort of thing then there's really no need to see Sukhothai and Ayutthaya. And I'm not really into this sort of thing. I'm into football, beer and Bob Dylan.

The town hadn't shown me its best face when I arrived, either. I got off the bus from Tak in the early evening and asked a tuk-tuk driver to take me into town. Naturally he took me to his choice of guest house; it was a little outside my price range so I set off to find a specific place recommended in the LP. And he followed me. He'd stay a few yards behind me for twenty seconds, then pull up alongside me and gesture me into his cab, grunting. He had a speech impediment and no spoken English. Eventually I found a main road and walked down it against the traffic, so he couldn't follow me any more. The guest house I was looking for was closed, and eventually I ended up in the place he'd taken me to originally.

Spent the next day riding a bike around the World Heritage-listed old city, sweating. In the evening I ate in a place called Poo Restaurant and drank beer in a bar where a guy was playing weedy acoustic songs in Thai. Drank beers and wrote in my diary. It doesn't take many bottles of Beer Chang to get me drunk and by the end of the evening I was writing a load of bollocks. The next day I read over it like I was seeing it for the first time. Then I got a bus to Phitsanulok.
Sukhothai