Pai Travel Blog

Here's a contrast for you. Two towns in northern Thailand, as touristy as they come, but the atmoshere when I got off the bus couldn't have been a lot different from Chiang Mai. It was chilled out, which is praise indeed coming from a miserable mardy bastard like me. I took a room on the other side of the river from the town proper, a mattress on the floor in a bamboo hut. It felt like if I put my bag down too hard it'd go through the floor. I spent the next sixty-odd hours doing nothing. Villa played Charlton; watched it in a bar somewhere. We were cack, and lost.

It was in Pai, too, that I had my first encounter with a fairly decent-sized tropical spider. He was in my room and about two and a half inches across, with great thick legs. A kind of arachnid Roberto Carlos, without the Nike endorsements. From certain angles you could see the light glittering in his eyes. I would have preferred him not to be there but I just went round my bed tucking the mosquito net under the mattress. Then I went to get drunk. Walked past a bar on a side-street and some Australian guy called me to come in and have a drink. "Let's talk about the cricket," he said when he found out I was English. Let's not. I did mention my spider, to howls of antipodean derision. "Jeez," he said, "you're not just a Pom, you're a fuckin girl!"

Bloody Aussies.

Toasted 2007 on New Year's Eve with a group of Americans as hundreds of yellow lanterns floated up into the sky. The next day I got a bus to Mae Hong Son.
photo by: Stevie_Wes