Bangkok Travel Blog

The guy I sat next to on the airport bus was either from Cambodia or from Singapore, but for reasons too pointless to go into here I don't know which. Conversation was stilted between us but when we fell off the bus on the Khao San Road we kinda mutually assumed we'd share a twin room somewhere. Ended up at the Siam Oriental Hotel. The name makes it sound like some grand colonial relic, like the Peninsula in Hong Kong. Believe me, it wasn't like that.

Once we'd dumped our stuff, we hit the town and suddenly I was in Asia. Temples shrines Buddhas for sale in shops parade grounds muai Thai markets t'ai chi bang bang bang all these things I'd never seen before, all in one night. The streets were thronged with people and a good eighty percent of them were wearing identical yellow polo-necks. Everywhere was decorated with hanging white lights. As a head-masher, I'd recommend it.
monky says:
Congrats on your featured Jim!
saintdog says:
awesome, well written. Thanks for sharing!
Stigen says:
Nice going , congrats !
Posted on: Apr 06, 2011
It begins, like so many other backpackers' trips, in Bangkok. Not exactly in at the deep end, then, but I spent a good week or so before I left the UK in a state of mounting terror. It was the first time I'd left Europe; before this my independent travel experience amounted to nine nights between Prague and Amsterdam during the World Cup last year. The plan for this trip was for seventeen weeks in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam (if I could be arsed), and a week-long stop-off in Jordan before going home. If you'd told me how it was going to end up, I probably wouldn't have left the UK.

We landed at half one in the afternoon. The guy I'd been talking to on the flight waited for me as we got off the plane, to my relief - I hadn't wanted to face the city alone. We strolled through the spanking new airport, past statues of Buddhist monsters and banners saying LONG LIVE THE KING, and then I lost him at passport control. Idiot.

Got stamped into the country and got a bus to the Khao San Road. Because I didn't know any better. It begins.
photo by: halilee