Camping in Dr. Seuss-Land

Joshua Tree Travel Blog

The unmistakable Joshua trees.

Yes, this entry is well over a month late; it's just how I tend to get things done. But what better a way to procrastinate studying the dreaded Phy Sci 5 manual?

I'd somehow managed to spend nearly three years in Southern California without visiting Joshua Tree, so this experience was well-anticipated. More than anything, I just wanted to see those Joshua trees-- sprinkled across the rocky desert landscape, stretching their arms into the air like hundreds of cartoon characters. It's no wonder people compare them to Dr. Seuss's "Lorax" illustrations.

My trip was organized by UCLA Outdoor Adventures, with whom I'd visited the Santa Monica Mountains two years ago. I had only remembered being slightly annoyed by the OA guides' excessive precautions-- to pack rain gear after a 3 month drought; to wear a neon orange safety whistle. Imagine my surprise, then, when the Joshua Tree guides had us scrambling through rocky caves within an hour of arriving. And no, there were no helmets involved, despite the numerous drops and crevices. We all emerged unharmed, though, and I was certainly proud of my less-than-fit self.

After a camp stove dinner of vegetarian jambalaya, Rachel and I decided to sleep outside. Once I'd managed to force all thoughts of scorpions out of my mind, I was able to thoroughly enjoy myself. The stars were like nothing I'd ever seen before... Hard to believe that they exist in Los Angeles, cloaked under smog and the blur of city lights.

Joshua Tree