Santa Monica Mountians

Los Angeles Travel Blog

Rachel, Laura and Paul

There's only one advantage to being without a car in Los Angeles: when you do get access to a car, you really, truly appreciate it. I should re-phrase that: when you get access to a friend's car, and they just happen to be the one driving... then you appreciate it. I must admit that I'm terrified of the 405.

We were planning on going to the beach, but Paul suggested we go for a hike instead. We drove along the Pacific Coast Highway, searching for a road which would lead us through Topanga Canyon. Not being able to find that road was half the fun... Rachel, Laura and I admired the coastline, and stared in partially-disgusted awe at the Malibu mansions. We passed the Moonstruck Lounge, which is supposedly haunted, and tried to figure out why Malibu had a McDonalds but no donut shops. Paul drove for quite some time before realizing that he'd missed the turnoff long ago.

After winding over Topanga's hairpin curves, we finally found the entrance to the Santa Monica wilderness. There were several trails to choose from... we took one of the shorter uphill walks. Within moments, it felt as if we were hundreds of miles from Los Angeles. We were surrounded by lush, green hills, shrubbery, and the occasional spattering of yellow wildflowers. The trail led to a beautiful summit, where the ocean met the half-moon coastline of Pacific Palisades.

Needless to say, it was refreshing to leave the stress of UCLA and the smog of the city. Now if only I could convince Paul, I would love to do this every weekend...