Why oh why, Wai-o-tapu?

Rotorua Travel Blog

Bubbling mud
O-O-O-O It's MAGIC...you know!! I find myself singing that all the time. And the reason is simple. I have been taking the Magic bus around the North Island of New Zealand. Filled with funny drivers and grand adventures. Well on our way out of Rotorua we stopped to see the Lady Knox Geyser...cool, I guess. I am sure I would have liked it more if I hadn't been to Yellowstone already and seen "natural" geysers. The reason I say it like that is because they actually manipulate the geyser into spewing everyday....keeping it regular. How? Well the park guide sticks a bar of soap in it. And then VOILA! In a matter of moments you have a geyser. We also stopped by Wai-o-tapu to see the colorful craters and thermal pools. Sadly I wasted $22 on a walk around a smelly park and a look at the famous "Champagne pool" which was barely visible due to the rising steam. Save your money and go to Yellowstone instead of investing it on their overrated park. The Magic bus then took us to view Huka Falls which was gorgeous and is famous for the amount of water that comes out. I highly recommend this scenic stop on your sights to see while in New Zealand.
Champagne pool