Vienna!

Vienna Travel Blog

Schloss Schoenbrunn

FYI- Brad, Emre and I planned on watching the Super Bowl, but we bailed.  It got late and we didn't really care about the teams or the half-time show (Rolling Stones...).

I booked a hotel and caught a train to Vienna for two very important reasons-

1.  Border run!  My 90-days were quickly coming to an end, and my passport never got stamped going to/from Poland.

2. I Am the Avalanche concert!

I made sure my hotel was close to the venue, since I didn't know what Vienna cabs were like (though my German infinitely better than my Czech or Polish).  I ended up at the Gartenhotel Gabriel on Landstrasser Hauptstrasse.  It was a nice enough place with a bed, decent bathroom, TV w/ CNN and breakfast.  So I got to the hotel, checked in, got settled and got ready to rock!  I made my way to the venue, where I paid and got my hand stamped (no ticket, *whines* I wanted a ticket!).

Schloss Schoenbrunn

The unavoidable excerpt from an email to family and friends-

I left Prague Friday morning for the 4.5-hour train ride to Vienna.  And on the way, I got my passport stamped, which was important because I was nearing my 90-day mark.  I got into Vienna mid-afternoon and had a hard time figuring out where I was supposed to go.  But first of all...I needed money!  Lucky for me I found an ATM machine and I got some Euros.  Then I got a map (for free!!!) at the info desk and although it took me a while, I found my way to the hotel.  It was nice enough, cheap and close to the concert venue.  And it came with breakfast, always a plus.
Statue near Stephansdom
  So after some rest and other concert preparations, I left the hotel to find the venue.  It took me a while, but I finally did.  And 16 Euros later, I was in the Arena waiting for I Am the Avalanche to take the stage.

First I had to get some band merch...I'm horrible like that.  So a sweatshirt and a t-shirt later (both I Am the Avalanche) I was in the hall waiting for the concert to begin.  I had a great time!!!  I'd seen them twice before, so I knew what to expect.  The group afterwards was The Matches.  I'd never heard them before, but I liked them.  And they put on a great show!  MxPx was last, and they were also really good.
Stephansdom
  I was about to leave when I noticed three guys from I Am the Avalanche hanging out by the merch table, so I went and talked to them.  Vinnie (the lead singer) said he knew I was American when he saw me in the audience b/c he recognized me.  (He'd asked a little earlier if we'd met before).  We chatted for a few minutes!!  Ah, my second run-in with the lead singer of one of my favorite bands (for anyone interested, the first was Pierre from Simple Plan).

Anyway, the next day I spent doing some sightseeing.  My first stop was the cathedral called Stephansdom.  Big, beautiful...a European cathedral.  I looked around and left since there was something at noon that I wanted to see, but I couldn't find it in time, so I went back to the cathedral.
Stephansdom
  Except that by the time I got there, there was a mass in session.  So instead of waiting around, I took the U-bahn (metro) to the castle- Schoenbrunn.  I got an audio tour and got to look around.  I really liked it, it was where Maria Theresa and Sisi both spent time.

After the castle I headed back to the cathedral.  The elevator to the top of the tower was closed by then, but I did get to tour the catecombs.  It was kinda creepy!  But it was really good and the guide did the tour in German and English.  I don't think he quite figured out what language I spoke since I was listening intently to both.

Sunday saw me going back to Prague...back to life as I knew it then.

It was great being in Austria just b/c I could practice German.  And I got a slice of Kaffeetorte (coffee torte) and a proper chocolate croissant.
Vienna