Madrid

Madrid Travel Blog

Retiro

This will encompass my trip to Madrid, Spain.   I'd been to Madrid the summer after my junior year of HS (back in '96) as part of a class trip, and this was my first time back (and on my own).  I flew from Prague to London-Gatwick (where I bought Thunderbirds DVD...messing with the regions on my computer) and then to Madrid.  Figuring out the Madrid metro was infinitely easier than Montreal, but it took me forever to get to my destination.  I stayed at a hostel for two nights, only really wanting one full day in Madrid before I went to Granada.  It was a nice enough place, TV and free WiFi...though breakfast wasn't great.

Retiro
  *shrugs* Oh well.  I went to the Prado and managed to spend *hours* there, including lunch.  Then I just walked, I went to Puerto del Sol and through the Parque de Retiro.

At Retiro, I was taking pictures of the pond (lake?) and some strange guy just came up to me and started saying "Hola, Hello, Hi...".  Then (in English) he asked "Are you afraid?"

Thankfully I gave him the "deer in headlights" look and thought to pretend I didn't speak English.  I conveyed that I didn't speaking English, only German and that I was from Austria.  It worked, too!!! He went away and I didn't see him again.  Then it was off to a market for dinner, and I ate in my room.

Then my room flooded.  I'm *so* not kidding.  I had two inches of water in my room.  Luckly not a lot was on the floor, and what was, they dried for me.  And my computer was safe and sound.  Yay!

The following day saw me making my way through the maze that is Madrid's Metro system.  After getting turned around, lost and confused, I finally got to Mendez Alvaro- the stop for the bus station.  I got my ticket and waited for a while for my bus.  It was a decent trip down to Granada, except for the horrible stop in between and two bad movies (Dumb and Dumber and True Lies).

Puerta del Sol