The long walk on Westray

Pierowall Travel Blog

Noup Head cliffs, Westray
The tiny ferry took me from Papa Westray to Westray. The airplane made this way in 1,5 minute last day :) I've found very nice hostel-camping in the village Pierowall where the ferry arrived.  The plan for today: western coast walk. The path started on high cliff called Noup head famous for numerous rare bird species nestling on the rocks. The smell and scream was unbelieveble! Great weather, Atlantic Ocean, milions of birds, 100 m high cliff... I felt like in heaven :) The walk along the shore took about 6 hours. I was completly alone, nobody on the track for 6 hours! The sun was setting over the Atlantic, the birds were screaming, the wind was blowing... The last destination was Norse Kirk - the ruines of very old church with cementary built by Vikings houndrets and houndrets years ago. The way back to camping was easy. I was hitch-hiking. The first car stoped! Orkney is perfect for hitch-hiking! People are extremaly nice and helpful. Sometimes they asked me if I want a ride even if I just wanted to walk and anjoy the views :))  I was back in my small, cosy tent about 8 pm. Pople owning the campsite with a hostel were really helpful and nice.
moogleslam says:
I grew up in Orkney - my family are still there - but I'm in the USA now. Funny story is, I used to work for the Council in Orkney and were on their "Special Projects" team. Usually we made playparks for kids, but for a couple of days I was stationed on Westray to fix the car park for the walk up to Noup Head. We also had to fix the wooden things for climbing over the fences, so basically did the whole walk. On the way back it was really foggy and we thought we could take a short cut and ended up getting completely lost in the fog for hours.... on a tiny Island! Love reading this blog about my homeworld :)
Posted on: Jul 31, 2009