Further north to Orkney

Inverness Travel Blog

Approaching Stromness
Next day in the morning I took the train to Thurso. Still for free!! If You can't make the trip in a day of Your flight arrival, You can use the ticket next day to continue journey! Sweet :) The landscape was amazing. I love the emptyness and remoteness of scottish highlands. First part of rail trip was leading along the North Sea shore with beautiful empty beaches, second one through green heatherland. The trip to Thurso too about 4 hours. I took the bus to ferry terminal and after one hour I was on the board of big ferry to Stromness in Orkney. Maybe 6-10 other tourists with me. Only ma and one other guy with backpack. He looked familiar... His backpack, I realized he is Polish! Of course! We talked a bit and together got off in Stromness. It's second biggest settlement in archiplago. Very nice old fishermans stone bulidings. After short walk around, we split and I took the bus to Kirkwall - the capital od Orkney. The biggest atraction of the town is almost 1000 yers old catherdal built by Vikings from characteristic red stone. The city was very quiet and streets so empty (about 7pm). After I settled in a hostel I took a short walk around the town. I met the polish guy again! I felt like we were the only tourists in Kirkwall that evening!
Aditu says:
I forgot to put the emergency brake on the car on that trip and had to go to the car area in the bottom of the boat to do and man did I get sick. It was rocking and rolling down there, lol. Needless to say I didn't enjoy my ferry trip to Orkney, :)
Posted on: Aug 01, 2007