Beautiful bay

Rackwick Travel Blog

The plan for today was to reach Rackwick bay in Hoy Island. First the bus took me to the ferry. Than the ferry took me to Lyness on Hoy Island. I was just 12 miles from my destination. I decided to hitch-hike. In the begining I was regreting this choice... It started to rain. The way looked so long. Luckly one car stoped (it seemed like there is maybe 20 cars on whole Island!! They were passing me once for 10 minutes). Very nice girl took me to the junction. The landscape was beautiful there! The weather much better and it was maybe only 4 miles left. After short uphill walk I cought a local minibus which took me to Rackwick. The driver asked: "Bunkhouse or hostel? Bunkhouse free and simple, hostel 10 GBP". I chose hostel... Ok, joke. Of course I chose bunkhouse!!! It was the nicest house I've ever slept in!!! Beautiful location, great views, sandy beach with huge round stones, high cliffs, remoteness - GREAT! When I arrived, I've found only one other backpack inside. There was fireplace, table, and places to put materaces. I don't need enything else!! The weather was rather bad when I arrived so I spent this evening inside.
Resources Reviews