Cicadas in the air!

Ottawa Travel Blog

The number one thing I've missed since my exodus from Ohio about 3 years ago, is the sound of the cicadas. Who'd have thought I'd be so nostalgic over this bug!? For those of you who may not know the insect, it's entire life is spent underground! For 17 years, this insect lives underground, pining for that one day in the near future when it will emerge from the soil. As soon as it does, it looks for a tree (or any flat surface it seems) for it to remove itself from the exoskeleton shell, and grow wings! If you've ever seen a cicada in that moment as its wings are drying and the shell is underneath it, you can't help but root for it or blow its wings dry for him! Then you jack the shell, and scare your siblings with it later.

I've seen two shells now, and I'm taking them back with me to Colorado. I may or may not use them to scare my students; depends on how well they behave from time to time. I'm sure the trek home will be interesting: baggage check-in, flight attendants, neighbor seats. Well, ideas are starting to form as I type. It'll be a long trip for someone *evil laugh* Scary bug shell, with creepy eyeballs.... nice. Very nice.

photo by: prism_lace