AsiaChinaZhuhai

Visiting Chinese Dracula, take 2

Zhuhai Travel Blog

It's only 9am and I've already had a busy day. I went to get my body check done. I've been poked, prodded (walked into one room and got told to lay down and show my chest and ankles. That was the low point of the morning. Sooooo embarrasing), stabbed (and yes, they used fresh needles. I watched them pull a new one out of a packet and then destroy it after they used it) and x-rayed for the last half an hour. Not fun, and my arm hurts. Am not in the best frames of mind right now. I'll pick up. Get some food and some more insta-crappee (otherwise known as instant coffee) into me and I'll be fine.

Anyway, here's my guide to surviving Chinese roads and drivers (afer nearly being in a three-way this morning on the way home between my car, a bus, and a taxi, don't ask, and a couple of near misses on the way in):

1. Seatbelts are a decoration. Don't bother putting them on as no-one else does (or only put them on if you're in the backseat and there's actually a buckle you can put it in! No one can see you back there).

2. Road rules, what road rules? Chinese drivers will drive in two lanes without even thinking and change lanes without indicating.

3. Your destination is only a guideline. You CAN change your mind in mid-turn.

4. Get in. Sit down. Shut up, and HANG ON!!!!!

5. The car horn is your friend. Love your horn. Use your horn regularly as everyone else will quite willingly lean on theirs for five minutes at a time to make their point.

There are probably more, but I'll add them as I think of them. Oh, Chinese drive on the wrong side of the road. You don't know how many times I've gone to step out on the road thinking no-one's coming only to have a bus, car, or taxi blast their horn at me 'cause I've been looking the WRONG WAY!!!

Apart from all of this, I'm having an absolute ball! I went to Macau for lunch yesterday. Kind of had to since my tourist visa ran out next week and I needed to get a new one. I now have a brand-spanking new, three month tourist visa. It's definately a load off my mind.

Anyway, off to get some food now. And coffee (once I've done the washing up). Then I must do ALL my washing and get ready for some training this-afternoon (they're going to train us, me and Harry) in how to do placement tests as we flat-out put our foot down about doing them until we'd had them explained to us.

Zhuhai