My first Inca site

Cuenca Travel Blog

After our disappointing day in Alausi, the Germans and I continued on to Cuenca together with hopes of green pastures.  The light drizzle could not the hide the beauty of this Spanish feeling colonial town as we walked the streets in the morning.  The Inca ruins in town were a bit of a joke, the whole area was only about 20 meters by 20 meters and the highlight was nothing more and a part of a stone wall.

The morning drizzle turned into an afternoon downpour as we took the 2 hour bus to Ingapirca, Ecuador’s most important Inca site.  I was glad to have my raincoat from MEC which was purchased with my gift certificate from Alliance although as my next entry explains, I have it no longer.

The bus stopped a few hundred meters from the park entrance.  It was as if the sun God was glad to see us because the rain stooped and the sun broke through as soon as we entered the gates.  The site was ok but certainly not breathtaking.  I did get some nice photos with of the lamas grazing in front of the ruins.  The museum was quite small and did not have any English but they did have some interesting pieces. I enjoyed this day and would definitely recommend this day trip for anyone who is travelling Ecuador and will not be making it to the bigger Inca sites in Peru.

I decided to take a night train to Huaquillas rather than staying another night in Cuenca as I had originally planed.  This turned out to be a mistake...

PS - I am not sure why the map is messed up and shows this in Peru.  It is only a few hundred km south of Banos.

photo by: Ils1976