What was god thinking? kind of WIND

Jericoacoara Travel Blog

I was told by several people that Jeri was the place to be of any beach town in the Northeast.  I was told that it was a good place to surf.  So before even arriving I planed on staying for a week to take some surf lessons.  On my first time making the short walk down the sand streets passed the fancy surf shops to the grey packed beach I soon realized that the people who told me that Jeri was a good place to surf forgot to mention one important detail, wind.  Jeri is an internationally known windsurfing town.  My comrades of the week Jonny (Netherlands), Morton (Sweden), and Torston (Germany) told me all the names of the professionals that were on the water but I donĀ“t remember a single one.

Me in a buggy
  Everyone seemed to be amazed with the fact that you could wake up every single morning to know that it will be a very windy day.  To my displeasure, traditional surfing does not exist at all in Jeri.

I decided to partake in a popular activity which was to take a buggy tour through the wind swept white sand dunes to some lagoons.  The journey there was very nice with the wind at our backs and making some descents down some unreasonably steep dunes.  We also had to cross a river by means of a barge pushed by locals using long poles.  The lagoon was nice but difficult to really relax with the ever present wind.

The journey home was one to remember.  When driving back into the wind it was nothing short or redonculus.

Sunset on the dunes
  Imagine wind so strong that: if you had an afro it would instantly be transformed into a cone jutting out of the back of your head, wind so strong that if you opened your mouth your cheeks would not flap they would just be torn straight off your face, wind so strong.. ok I think you get it.  Now take that wind and mix in enough sand to fill Lake La Ronge, then drive straight into it at 80 km/hr and you get a flesh ripping sand blast of a ride.  The girl beside me wrapped a towel around the head, face and all, for the entire journey.

Other attractions here included the hour or so hike to this famous big rock with a hole in it that is on all the postcards.  The lighting was crap when I got there so I never really got a good photo of it but I did find some cool shells along the way.

Jeri Crew

The night life was a bit disappointing here.  I was expecting more of a scene similar to Byron Bay Australia but it was way to chilled out for that.  Pretty much everyone hung out on sand and carless main drag chatting about windsurfing.  Halloween is not a really big deal in Brazil but it was a pretty good night even though there were only about 10 people dressed up in the entire town.  One of the bars put on a packed party with a really good local band playing familiar tunes like the Chili Peppers and Sublime until the sun came up.

Other than that there was not a lot to do in Jeri.  I did manage to spend a almost a full week there just chillin.  Pretty much every night we sat at the same small barstool bar at watching the scenery walk by and sippin on capariniahs.

A dune
A dune
On the back side of the famous roc…
On the back side of the famous ro…
Saw these guys everywhere