Warm water of the Northeast

Maceio Travel Blog

I made a last minute decision to get on a night bus with Aussie Tom to Maceio because I felt as if I needed to keep moving up the coast.  The buses in Brazil are quite luxurious but also about five times more expensive than in the rest of South America.  Transportation has been one of my biggest costs here.

Neither Tom nor I really wanted to go to Maceio too badly but it was the next major city on the way north so we decided to stay for a day.  We got a pretty good taste of the northeaster street party atmosphere on the night we arrived.  People young and old but mostly very young conglomerate to favorite areas for each day of the week.  We just happened to get lucky and walk right into the center of a pretty serious street party.

Trolleyed street vendors sold 600ml beer for a buck fifty.  The portable boom boxes on wheels blasted reggatone out of all five doors which provided booty shaking tunes for several blocks.  There was no need to pay the pricey cover to get into the clubs since there were way more people on the street anyways.

We spent our one day in Maceio on the umbrella covered beach.  This gave Tom and I own first taste of the forward Northeaster women.  While sitting on under our umbrella sipping our beers we were approached by several sets of girls most of which did not speak english but all of which wanted to go for a "swim" in the ocean and go partying at night.  If that was not strange enough they went not even interested in getting drinks or money on the contrary.  They were buying drinks to hang out with us.  Bizzaro land.  Tom informed me that since entering the NE of Brazil his standards went through the roof.  After a day on the beach I could see why.

photo by: razorriome