Strange rocks

Piripiri Travel Blog

The snake

Ancient rock painting, arches, and caves grace Parque Nacional de Sete Ciades, but the highly unusual rock formations were unforgettable.  It was quite a chore to get to the park and even though I really enjoyed it I am still unsure if it was worth the hassle.  From Jeri I took a 6:00am chicken filled open back truck for three hours down the beach to Camocim. I was told that the bus to Parnaiba was to leave at 10:30am but it didn´t actually leave until 4:00pm.  So I gathered what small amount of strength that the 2 hours of sleep from the previous evening left me and walked around town a bit with both bags onboard.

Eventually I just decided to set up my mat and sleep most of the day away at the bus station.  I finally disembarked the over killed air-conditioned bus in Parnaiba at about 7:00pm which meant that I missed the 6:30 connection to my real destination of Piripiri and I would have to spend the night.  I got up for the 6:00am bus to Piripiri and upon arrival to a mototaxi (motorbike) the remaining 26 km the the park. Wowsers.  I won´t bore whoever is reading this blog with such detail in the future but I just wanted to put in a bit on how "fun" travel can be around these parts.

The park itself was amazing.  I had a beautiful day to explore it via pedal bike with my compulsory non english speaking guide.  It seemed to me that someone spent a whole lot of time staring at of of the crazy rocks to come up with animals that they resemble.

Lizard I saw near the natural lagoon
  Think about cloud gazing but the clouds never moves.  Most of them I could see but thee were several that I could not which was probably mostly because I could understand what John was telling me I was supposed to be looking at.  I really like these kind of parks and enjoyed it thourghly.  Unfortunately the unrelenting sun was doing a number on me and my liter and a half of water in a mere three hours was not enough and a developed a sweltering headache.  After another 2 liters back at the center John took me to natural pool surrounded by mango trees.  I hung out in the park all day and got a lift back into town on the guides´ bus.

The snake
Lizard I saw near the natural lago…
Lizard I saw near the natural lag…
Elephant head