Reggae

Sao Luis Travel Blog

Sao Luis earned its reputation as the reggae capital of Brazil during my 4 day stay.  All reggae all the time makes for a pretty laid back night life seen.  Brazilians dance to to this music very close and very slow.  As always I had to partake in the local activities.

I stayed at the HI hostel in old town which was a very nice refurbished building but the staff were some of the unfriendliest people I have met in South America.  It was nice to finally get back to a hostel where I could mingle with other tourists.  My roomies were a couple of french guys.  They were alright but maybe a little too freewheeling for me.  They had no plan no travel book and very random.  We did meet up with some locals though who brought us to some nice places most notably the reggae party on the beach at one in the morning.

The town of Sao Luis is not much to look at.  There are some nice upkept buildings in a small section of the old town but for the most part it is pretty run down and I did not feel very comfortable walking around the streets on my own even during daylight.  Having said that I did not have any problems here.

Alcantara is a picturesque colonial treasure slipping into decay.  I took a day trip here via the one hour ferry from Sao Luis.  There is not a lot to do here other than walk the cobblestoned streets checking out the churches, ruins, and friendly locals.  This made for a memorable day even though the space centre museum was a complete joke.

Due to the majority of people telling me that the six day boat ride from Belem to Manaus was extremely boring after the first day I decided to take a flight direct to Manaus to save some time.

Sao Luis