Dunes

Barreirinhas Travel Blog

The journey between Piripiri to Barreirnhas and eventually Parque Nacional Dos Lencois Maranhenses was the most adventurous travelling I have done to date.  Hard bench seats on 4x4 trucks that get stuck in the sand roads, more missed conections, more extra stoppovers in tinny towns, that is what travelling is about. Parque Nacional Dos Lencois Maranhenses is a common tourist destination for Brazillians but did not seem to have the same draw for international tourists, possibly because it can be a little difficult to get to.

The 1550 sq km park is an endless collection of 40 m high dunes wich crystal clear rainwater pools nestled at their bases.  The best time to visit is March to September when the water is higher but there were still pools to swim in during my visit.  I took a afternoon half day trip with a dozen or so others.  The tour consited of the the short fairy ride accross the river, 4X4 truck transport from Barreirnhas to the park, four hours to explore the pools and dunes, and transport back.  It is definately better to go in the afternoon when the lighting is much better and the heat is more bareable.  The windy sand swept dunes during sunset were surreal.

I spent a day in town people watching and what not but there is really not a lot to do there for tourists.  Breakfast was hard to come by.

Alexsiamour says:
Great pics!!!!! I love Barreirinhas!!!! It's a wonderful place!!!! I went with my boyfriend there and we loved so much!!!!
Wonderful week to you :)
Posted on: Sep 29, 2008
shaggorama says:
that's awesome that there were still pools there man. sounds like getting there was half the fun!
Posted on: Nov 22, 2007