Colonial street parties

Olinda Travel Blog

Recife on the other side of the bridge.  Tom and I stayed at a fantastic hostel called Albergue de Olinda or something like that.  Personally I thought that the government protected colonial city enter on the hillside was more beautiful than the much more famous Salvador.  If the city views from the reggae bar at the top of town where not enough the surely the best street parties in the country would.  Strangely Sunday night is the biggest party in Olinda where there is a massive street party at the top of the hill near the main church.  Tom and I only got the tail end of it since we just arrived on Sunday night.  We were chased down the street by some tourist hungry local girls who bought us drinks in the local hip hop club until the sun came up.

Getting to know some locals made such a massive difference in terms of nightlife.  There is a street party every night except from Monday but most tourists would probably never find any of them on there own.  Luckily we found ourselves some nightlife tour guides who showed us all the hot spots.

Perhaps they were biased but they claimed that the Carnival in Olinda is the best in Brazil.  Not so much about the glitzy parade that you get in Rio but more about the biggest non stop all day all night week long street party that you could imagine.  Most of the details of the stories are not fit for this blog.

I had a bit of a scare when I came down with a pretty significant fever.  I hade sever chills even though it was almost 30 degrees.  I ended up sleeping in my -15 degree sleeping bag for about 34 hours straight.  I was a little concerned because I had symptoms similar to what you get from Dengue Fever and Malaria.  Luckily for me I had neither and after my 34 hour snooze I was back up and ready to move on to Pipa

Olinda