Stockholm, the archipelago & the Baltic sea

Stockholm Travel Blog

outside my hotel

When I woke up, I walked from my hotel through old town (Gamla Stan) back to the train station.  I wanted to meet a friend in Tallinn, so I needed to find where to buy a ticket for the ferry.  That task is rather boring to relay now, suffice it to say that after getting the ferry ticket to Tallinn, I found an internet cafe to let my friend know when I'd get there & figure out how we'd meet.  Turns out she wouldn't be able to get there until a day later (she's from Lithuania) but Riga wouldn't be a problem ... So, more boring task of switching the ferry ticket to Riga - but the Riga ferry leaves earlier than the Tallinn one - so I pretty much had to get on a bus right away.  I got on the wrong bus ... figured it out when we got to the final stop & the driver was wondering why I didn't exit.

That is a two-way road.
  She told me the stop to get off for the correct bus - I got on a second wrong one :P d'oh!  Anyway, I made it just barely in time to the ferry.

So ... my time in Stockholm involved little-to-no sightseeing, and I sort of felt bad about that - but it was all ok once the ferry left Stockholm and started traversing the archipelago.  Some of these islands had only one or two houses on them, others had many - all were amazingly beautiful.  The aura, the look, smell, everything was amazing, and someday I must explore these islands more closely.  I think the old Viking blood of my ancestors perked up on this four hour trek through the islands just to get to the open Baltic.  I finished the night on the ferry listening to karaoke (mainly in Latvian, but some in Swedish & English - "Puga, puga, jenga, jenga" is a title I remember in particular).

Archipelago.
Archipelago.
Excited to see the ferry.
Excited to see the ferry.
Swedish Navy!