München

Munich Travel Blog

Hofbräuhaus

I tried to sleep on the train from Vienna, and I did a bit, but nothing fulfilling.  After exiting the train, I just picked a direction at random & walked until I found a place to stay (turned out to be Pension Margit) ... got a room and got a few hours of sleep.  Once awake again, I explored the sights of the city.  Came across Hofbräuhaus, and remembering the song from High School German class:

"In München steht ein Hofbräuhaus: Eins, zwei, g’suffa!"

I decided I'd better eat there.  Great ambiance, live polka band, people dancing, general cacophony ... I guess it's the stereotypical German ambience, and they certainly play it up! (a day or two later while talking to the desk clerk at my pension, he scoffed at Hofbräuhaus as being such a touristy spot, so I may have neglected to tell him how much I enjoyed my time there) :D  Anyway, I got some sort of sausage combo/platter & a liter of bier, can't complain!

Upon returning to my pension, the desk clerk (a new one, not the one I talk about above, who was also the one that checked me in earlier) had no record of anybody registered in the room I was staying in.

Stadtentwasserungswerke
  He didn't speak any English (to me anyway) and as I alluded to in earlier blogs, my German language education peaked in twelfth grade.  I attempted to tell him that ALL my stuff was in that room, and if he wanted he could go check the room & find my bags, he had none of that and made me re-register, which in the long run wasn't bad at all, as the main desk clerk was there the next morning & he & I sorted it out without incident.

Karls Thor