Bojnice & Prievidza day 2 - swimming at a quarry, then out to a club

Prievidza Travel Blog

Today Andrea and three of her friends took me to a quarry that has been filled with water to create a swimming hole.  It was neither in Prievidza nor Bojnice, but the pictures will show up as Prievidza seeing I don't know where it was.  It was about a 30-45 minute drive from Prievidza (any Slovaks that read this and know where it is by the pictures I've uploaded, please feel free to comment!  Would be appreciated).

We started the day by meeting up at a Tesco Hypermarket.  I had run out of toothpaste & there was a cleaners there (where I dropped off all my clothes that I wasn't wearing).  Then to the quarry.  The water was deep and cold (as would be expected of a quarry) one or two steps from shore and then a big drop.

Zamek Bojnice
  It was a relaxing day.  We knocked a volleyball around for a bit, had some lunch, swam some more ... relaxing.

We got back to my pension in the late afternoon.  Andrea said she'd be back to pick me up to go to a club that evening.  I had time to shower, change into some freshly laundered clothes, and walk up to get another look at the castle.

The club had an interesting urinal in the men's room.  It had a glass back with feathers and other decorations, which, when flushed, water would flow over (like ... er ... any other urinal when flushed).  I don't know how many other toilets I've taken pictures of ... I'm sure one or two in my day, but I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've uploaded that photo into a travel blog.  Anyway, it was Andrea, Jana, Petr and me .

Urinal
.. we played pool, Andrea & Jana danced ... typical club things.  Oh, I finally got my first Slovak beer - Šariš.

At about 11-ish I noticed some ladies coming in all dressed up as though it was a wedding, one in a bridal gown, and others in bridesmaid gowns.  This place didn't seem quite right to host a reception, and the gowns were too good to be fake (like at a bachelorette party).  Andrea told me that there is a tradition in Slovak weddings where the bride is "taken" by her bridesmaids during the reception at about 11 PM.  They bring her to a bar.  It is the groom's obligation to find her before midnight.  He and his groomsmen go searching.  At each bar they come to where the bride is NOT, they drink one drink and continue.  Once they find the bride, I'm not sure exactly what happens, but I did notice that all the bridesmaids start to hit on the groom, making advances, trying to kiss him - this, I was informed, is also part of the tradition, he must stave off their advances, and remain faithful to his new bride.  Then at midnight they go back to the reception and do something with the veil.  I couldn't quite understand what, but apparently something important or symbolic.  It was an interesting tradition to witness, and one that I had not hear about before.

Looks like an angry anime character
Petr
Petr
Jeremy & Jana
Jeremy & Jana
Finally, on my third day in Slovak…
Finally, on my third day in Slova…
Prievidza