Prologue

Lisbon Travel Blog

As has come to wont, I start each blog by writing a short paragraph on why I chose a particular destination as my holiday spot. Portugal it was this time for what I thought was a logical reason, but later turned out to be the best "wrong" decision ever made! I usually make two trips a year to Europe: one with Sandhya, one without (as she doesn't get as much vacation as I do). So, for the trips without her, I choose either French speaking countries (as I can practise my French by chatting to locals without worrying about her getting bored) or countries that are museum-heavy as she's not much into admiring art (or "staring at paintings" as she puts it) as I am. So, based on my "research", Portugal seemed to fit the bill quite nicely: Lisboa was choc-a-block of museums, something that would bore her and yet I could enjoy the sunny weather whilst not feeling guilty about leaving her behind.

I said I chose Portugal for the "wrong" reason because after spending a week here, I realised it is more than just museums. Infact, as mentioned in my blog summary, I'd underestimated this tiny country to be a mere younger brother (culturally) to Spain with nothing new to offer. How wrong I was! Right after the first day on the legendary trams up the postcard hills of Alfama, I told Sandhya "you should see this country! It's a hidden treasure chest"! Day trips to Sintra, the beautiful beautiful UNESCO Heritage old town of Porto and the home of port wine in Gaia, all of it just made up for one of the most memorable (and short) trips of my life. I know I'll be back here someday with her in tow, there sure is an awful lot to see!

skippyed says:
Congrats on your blog being featured Vikram.. well done my friend :-)
Posted on: Dec 27, 2014
Nana_gincin says:
Congrats on your featured blog Vik ... and Merry Christmaaaaas!!!
Posted on: Dec 26, 2014
rsvpme says:
CongrATS ON MAKING FEATURE......
Posted on: Dec 26, 2014