EuropeFranceNice

Prologue to the trip

Nice Travel Blog

I try to make two European trips a year and 2014 was no exception. Not only that, as Sandhya couldn't join me for this one, the choices were quite apparent - France (not because she hates France but because she feels left out when I converse with the French in French!), England (because she knows I'll be back!) and country #3. I mulled over potential candidates and decided to go with Portugal, which was a "bad call" (and I say that in a good way). I presumed the country wasn't that "cool" and that I could get it off my bucket list whilst not feeling guilty that she wasn't there with me, but how wrong I was! (see my other blog for details). Amazing country, I'll have to make another trip with her!

So with that list finalised, the next question was where to in France? I'd already created a bunch of itineraries in my head. Whilst Lyon, Bordeaux and Strasbourg were top of the list, I chose the French Riviera given the timing (October would be cold/wet in the other places but not here) and I kind of liked the idea of wandering around small towns by bus and not doing anything! This would be a far cry from my more structured tourist-oriented trips (with museum and castle visits, etc.) Given the the busy year I had and the timing of the year, I really didn't want to invest too much brainpower in planning a "Vikram style" vacay, but instead go with the flow. And so, Nice it was! Once all that was decided, off I was - planned for my Schengen visa, booked the flights and hostels and was all set!

My best friend dropped me to the airport (and fairly early as he had to get to work). It was pouring. Badly pouring. My AA flight to ORD was on time. I got upgraded to 1st class (main course yum spinach tortellini and warm chocolate cake), very attentive FAs which was a surprise, flight landed in ORD on time which was a bigger surprise (regular ORD flyers will know what  I mean!). I was told to look for a "BA bus" that takes you airside to the International terminal saving you from going through security but I had issues finding it, eventually found it at K20. The bus leaves every 30 minutes or so and the announcements aren't very clear.

The 645pm BA jumbo to LHR was pushing back from the gate when I reached the International terminal with my B777 waiting in line to park. I whiled my time away with my Kindle, talking to my mum (phone heating up because of that yahoo mail sync which i couldn't kill). Flight boarded and took off on time which was good.

BA flight was average: IFE wasn't working for a long time, veg food was so-so, had a grouchy but stylish lady sitting next to me. I couldn't sleep. Finally when the IFE did come on, I saw "Divergent" and continued to read the never ending "Fountainhead".

joseph98 says:
Got featured eh? Sorry to miss that one, not been on here a few days. Belated congrats, and as others have said, well-deserved too :-)
Posted on: Nov 23, 2014
simsing says:
Congrats on the feature!
Your blogs are always a good read!
Posted on: Nov 22, 2014
aloneinthecrowd says:
Congrats on your featured blog, Vikram :)
Posted on: Nov 21, 2014
Nice Hostels review
It's got a palm tree in the courtyard guys! What more does one possibly want?!
Whoever said the French Riviera was all about relaxing and chilling and soaking in the Mediterranean sun obviously ensured that YHA Camelias designers… read entire review
Nice