Touring around the Isle of Skye - my Kodak Moment day!

Isle Of Skye Travel Blog

Saucy Marys, my hostel in Kyleakin

I got good sleep although it did get a bit stuffy at night, had a good breakfast and met quite a few people as we were waiting for our bus. There were about 2 Haggis buses ready to leave that day so our hostel and the neighbouring one were both crowded. We left by 9a and were promised a "fun day" around the Isle of Skye we were promised. Here we go again I thought....geez!

Our first stop was a magical river where, if you drink water out of it you'll be promised beauty and youth. I also got to see tons of thistles growing in the wild here, the thistle being the national flower of Scotland. We made a quick grocery stop where I got friendly with tons of people, friendly lovable Aussies! And from there, another round of the island.

Gosh it's beautiful! So cloudy, misty and lovely.

The thistle, Scotland's national flower
It was cold and incessantly raining, but come to think of it, it's the constant water that keep these places so salubrious and green and untouched. We couldn't sadly see one of the Isle's landmarks, The Old Man of Storr as it was too misty. So the guy just pointed it out to us and said "imagine a bunch of stones aligned in such and such a way". yeah right!

And it could only get better from here, to a point that in hindsight, I think the next couple of hours were my 2nd best EVER in this backpacking trip (the best being the Dingle Peninsula in West Ireland). Isn't it funny how the unintentional stops always end up becoming the best?

After the grocery stop, our first stop was Portree. I could see those three colourful buildings again. It turns out that those buildings are the Aros Centre which is a cultural museum.

Portree
We had to take a stop at the police office of all places as our bus was broken into and one of the guys (the photographer from Toronto) had some things burgled (idiot that he is, left stuff on the bus during the night). But not to complain, we went for a quick stroll around the city and I got a picture of me in front of the three buildings. A Kodak moment for me!

Continuing on, we stopped at this set of hills (from afar looks like your average Scotland Highlands hills) which had a stream running. We got on for a foto shoot and by Joe it was gorgeous... it's just too tough to describe but if you look below, especially a full shot foto of me standing with the clouds and the green having equal footing in the picture, WOW! It felt surreal, I'm so surprised that the foto looks as real as the real thing.

Portree, my favourite photo
We spent about an hour here, the driver Dave had brought the Scottish flag so we were wrapping it around ourselves, carrying it, doing all sorts of stuff and posing. 'Twas fun.

From here, we were going to find a toilet + picnic stop for our picnic lunch.

We stopped again at some non descript place, just because it looked spacious enough. This place was breathtaking. Just look at the photos labelled "picnic spot", that says it all. We got so lost by the scenery - the hills, those purple flowers, the weather, the cliffs, the water, etc we completely forgot about our lunch thinking we could eat it whilst on the bus. I don't think I've ever clamoured for so many pictures all at one go ever in my life. These were the sort of pictures National Geographic is made of, that fantastic!

From here, it was leaving the Isle of Skye, headed back to the main land and moving on up north (we were told the drive would take about 3 hrs) to Carbisdale, my first time spending a night in a Castle. Did I just say that I was feeling bored when this trip began?? Hmmm....!

Saucy Marys, my hostel in Kyleakin
The thistle, Scotlands national f…
The thistle, Scotland's national …
around the Isle
around the Isle
Kilt Rock
Kilt Rock
Our picnic spot - my favourite pho…
Our picnic spot - my favourite ph…
Kilt Rock again